9th Annual Golden Dragon Awards
Northrop Grumman Named Winner of 2018 Golden Dragon Award,
Highest Honor of Year from Asian American Chamber of Commerce
Chamber annual awards celebrates Central Florida success in business and community building
ORLANDO – The Asian American Chamber of Commerce of Central Florida awarded the prestigious 2018 Golden Dragon Award to Northrop Grumman Corporation, selecting the aerospace and defense giant for its outstanding service, leadership and commitment to community.
Northrop Grumman, with operations in Orlando, Apopka and Melbourne, was honored as recipient of the Asian American Chamber’s highest honor for the company’s significant contributions to STEM education and developing next generation tech leaders through scholarships and internships; its commitment to diversity; and its promotion of employee volunteerism.
The Asian American Chamber of Commerce’s Ninth Annual Golden Dragon Awards, hosted by title sponsor Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, honored recipients in four other categories: Rising Star Award to real estate professional Paul Jimenez; Golden Hands Award to Kay Rawlins of Orlando City Soccer and the club’s foundation; Diversity Champion to Jerry Ross and the National Entrepreneur Center; and Asian Entrepreneur of the Year to Suresh Gupta of Park Square Homes.
“We congratulate all our 2018 winners for their efforts to build bridges throughout our community and their many contributions to the economic prosperity that benefits all in Central Florida,” said Asian American Chamber of Commerce 2018 President Jose “Joed” Fabricante Jr.
Robert Klein, vice president of engineering for Northrop Grumman in Melbourne, accepted the award on behalf of the company. “Our focus is on science, technology, engineering and math – and our military veterans, our communities and the environment,” Klein said, noting that Northrop Grumman employees serve by building homes, packing meals, distributing school supplies and other efforts in support of 30 non-profits in Central Florida.
“The company’s Asian Pacific Professional Network is dedicated to leadership development and volunteerism,” he added. “I want to thank the chamber for this honor, and we will continue to work every day to deserve this award.”
Dozens of nominations were received from across the region. The 2018 Golden Dragon Awards winners:
The awards ceremony was held at Disney’s Contemporary Resort with the support of Title Sponsor Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, which is also a longtime Golden Dragon partner with the Asian American Chamber of Commerce of Central Florida.
- GOLDEN HANDS AWARD, for exemplary contributions of time, energy and dedication to a cause, project or community, awarded to Kay Rawlins, co-founder of Orlando City Soccer Club and president of Orlando City Foundation, for her efforts to support and raise awareness for non-profits serving children and families.
- RISING STAR AWARD, recognizing a Central Floridian who embodies the Asian American Chamber of Commerce core values – Dream. Believe. Achieve. – by demonstrating outstanding leadership and commitment to community, awarded to Paul Jimenez, a Realtor with Urbanista who is one of the leading real-estate agents in the Downtown Orlando market.
- DIVERSITY CHAMPION AWARD, honoring an individual or company for actively fostering and encouraging diversity and inclusion, awarded to the National Entrepreneur Center and Jerry Ross, president and CEO, for 15 years of serving small businesses and entrepreneurs in collaboration with Central Florida’s diversity chambers and state and federal resource organizations.
- ENTREPRENEUR OF THE YEAR AWARD, recognizing entrepreneurs of Asian heritage doing business in Central Florida whose track record of innovation and success can serve as a role model to others, awarded to Suresh Gupta, co-founder and CEO of Park Square Homes, one of the top minority-owned enterprises in Central Florida.
- GOLDEN DRAGON AWARD for outstanding contributions and positive impacts to our Central Florida community, awarded to Northrop Grumman Corporation and accepted on behalf of the company by Robert Klein, vice president of engineering.
The Golden Dragon Awards, emceed by Dana Jay of FOX 35 Orlando and Scott Kauffman of Aloha Realty Group, was themed “Celebrating the Art of Asia”. The event featured origami and calligraphy by Gateway to Japan, caricature by Milaartistique, and the performing talents of C Studios classical Indian dance, Russian Ballet Orlando and the Musikong Kawayan Bamboo Ensemble music of the Philippines.
About the Asian American Chamber of Commerce of Central Florida
Founded in 1986, the Asian American Chamber of Commerce of Central Florida is dedicated to providing leadership, support and encouragement to help its members prosper and grow, and serves as a bridge between our many Asian American communities and the Greater Orlando region. The Chamber's annual Golden Dragon Awards recognizes outstanding leadership, initiative, contributions and positive impacts to our Central Florida community. The Asian American Chamber of Commerce, a 501(c)(6) organization, is a resource partner of the National Entrepreneur Center located in Orlando Fashion Square. For more information, go to www.AsianAmericanChamberCFL.org